Re: "relocation truncated to fit: R_MIPS_CALL16"

To: zhuzhenhua <>
Subject: Re: "relocation truncated to fit: R_MIPS_CALL16"
From: Nigel Stephens <>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:45:35 +0100
Cc: linux-mips <>

zhuzhenhua wrote:
i want to write a mini bootloader for my board, so i need jump to c
code from asm code
but when i compile and ld, i get "relocation truncated to fit:
R_MIPS_CALL16" messages for every function call..
i have try the mips_4KCle-gcc(worked for u-boot),
mips_fp_le-gcc(worked for mvita linux), and also a
mipsel-linux-gcc(worked for my linux 2.6 kernel), but they all failed,
even i add -G0 to gcc.
and i only compile success by using mips-elf-gcc under cygwin.
does it be caused by binutils version? or gcc compile CFLAGS?
thanks for any hints

This is probably because the mips-linux configuration of gcc is generating position-independent code by default, whereas the mips-elf version doesn't.

Try adding the options "-mno-abicalls -fno-pic" to your mips-liinux-gcc options.