Re: tx49 Ether problems

To: Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>
Subject: Re: tx49 Ether problems
From: Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov@ru.mvista.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:06:23 +0400
Cc: geoffrey.levand@am.sony.com, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hello.

Atsushi Nemoto wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:50:17 +0400, Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov@ru.mvista.com>
wrote:

This is really strange place for that #ifdef -- 'wordlength' is determined much earlier in this function (and stop_page is set to 0x40 for 8-bit case), shouldn't #ifdef be moved instead?

    What I think we actually need is more generic fix for RTL8019AS, not the
board specific hacks -- if this RX ring stop page value limitation *really*
needs to be enforced.

I agree with you.  Then how about something like
CONFIG_NE2000_RTL8019_BYTEMODE?

Have you looked at the patch? RTL8019 is easily detectable at runtime, so the limitation is easily enforcable w/o extra Kconfig option, I think

 Also, setting 0xbad value to mem_end
can skip the Product-ID checking without inflating bad_clone_list.
Just a thought...

0xbad in dev->mem_end currently skips 8390 reset which is not a good thing for the clones for which it does work...

---
Atsushi Nemoto

WBR, Sergei