Re: Emulating MIPS -- please help!

To: Thiemo Seufer <>
Subject: Re: Emulating MIPS -- please help!
From: Chris Boot <>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:31:31 +0100
On 29 Mar 2006, at 17:03, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 04:47:23PM +0100, Chris Boot wrote:
Dentry cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
Memory: 128480k/131072k available (907k kernel code, 2556k reserved,
172k data, 96k init, 0k highmem)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
Checking for 'wait' instruction...  available.

At this stage it gets stuck and I have to kill qemu. Any ideas how to
debug this?

Familiar symptom, I fixed it but don't remember offhand which patch
contains the fix. It was either related to TLB emulation or to
kernel-mode/user-mode mismatch.

Well, I added a few more patches and it finally boots now, but it can't mount the root FS off the RAMDISK. I'm not sure if this is a side-effect of the previous initrd problem or what, but it feels good to be getting further...

I've only applied the elf-loader patch since I was having
trouble applying some of the others to my Ubuntu qemu 0.8.0.

The patches are for upstream CVS.

Hmm, well I might give it a shot and see what happens. I'd rather stick with a stable version, but if it gets me somewhere it's probably worth it.

Thanks very much,

Chris Boot