Emulating MIPS -- please help!

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Emulating MIPS -- please help!
From: Chris Boot <bootc@bootc.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:39:02 +0100
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi all,

I'm desperately trying to get a MIPS emulator running Linux, and while I've managed to get gxemul and (I think) qemu running, I can't for the life of me get them to (1) output anything or (2) use an initrd.

Can anyone post some instructions and, perhaps, a .config for 2.6.16 so I can get some output like kernel boot messages and a login screen?

I've got gxemul emulating code and running a kernel, which I can test by stopping emulation and stepping the code. Qemu seems to boot my qemu-specific kernel but I get no output and qemu appears to hang (won't take keyboard input). I can't seem to get either emulator to load my initrd, but that doesn't really matter at this stage since I can't see anything anyway (I have no idea how to using gxemul, and qemu refuses to load the image).

Something that could emulate a NEC VR41xx chip would be icing on the cake, but I'll take anything I can get at this stage.

Many thanks in advance,
Chris

--
Chris Boot