Re: 2.6.14 - problem with malta

To: Kishore K <>
Subject: Re: 2.6.14 - problem with malta
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:55:18 +0000
Cc: "" <>
On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 08:06:43PM +0530, Kishore K wrote:

> hi
> I am trying to bring up the malta board (MIPS 4kec), using the 2.6.14 kernel
> downloaded from linux-mips. The kernel is built with malta_defconfig located
> in arch/mips/configs. After loading this kernel, board halts after printing
> "Linux Started
> Config serial console: console=ttyS0, 38400n8r"
> Kernel is built with the tool chain based on gcc 3.3.6, binutils
> .

Note I generally don't test with HJ.Lu's toolchain at all.  It may be
broken for MIPS, I don't know.  Also due to known bugs in older toolchains
the minimal requirement is binutils 2.16; the vanilla FSF version from will do.

(2.15 will core dump for some configurations but if it doesn't die, it seems
to do just fine)

> Could any one tell me what the problem is .

Let's see.  What CPU card are you using on your Malta?  And if it's an
FPGA card, what bitfile is loaded?  Yamon will print information on the
CPU after powerup or reset.