Re: Alchemy Au1550 Early Console

To: Mark Schank <mschank@dcbnet.com>
Subject: Re: Alchemy Au1550 Early Console
From: Jon Anders Haugum <jonah@omegav.ntnu.no>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:58:35 +0100 (CET)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Mark Schank wrote:

I am working with a Au1550 based system an am trying to upgrade
from the 2.6.12 kernel to the 2.6.16 kernel .  I have noticed that the
au1x00_uart.c driver has been remove and replaced with functionality in
8250.c and 8250_au1x00.c.  So far, I have been unable to get the early
console running.  Under this new driver model, what is the proper
way to bring up an early console on a Au1550 internal serial port?

Have you enabled the console for 8250-based serial ports?
(CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE)

Another issue might be if you have got some PCI-based serial ports in the system, because they will be assigned before the internal ones. So you might end up having the console on a PCI serial port.

Third: There is a bug in the new driver regarding divisor settings, but the console should still be working since the boot loader will init the uart properly. (I've posted a patch for this bug earlier: http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2006-03/msg00041.html).

Jon