Re: 1480: "bad address" instead of "argument list too"

To: Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>
Subject: Re: 1480: "bad address" instead of "argument list too"
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:35:21 +0000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 05:21:27PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> * Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> [2006-03-17 17:02]:
> > Chances are this is caused by the return value of some syscall.  Can you
> > use strace on a shell to isolate it?
>
> I tried, but I don't know how.  "strace echo *" immediately gives a
> "bad address" because the wildcard is evaluated before strace is
> invoked.  How can I call strace in this case?

Log into a second shell from another tty, find out the PID of the first
shell.  Then do an strace -ff -v -p <PID of first shell> in the second
shell, go back to the first shell and do your echo *.  You now should
have the interesting bits of the log in the second window.

> > Is this 32-bit software on a 64-bit kernel?

There remain corner cases to be fixed in that emulation layer even though
it's good enough for general use since a long time.