Cross compile kernel w/ buildroot toolchain

To: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Cross compile kernel w/ buildroot toolchain
From: "Kurt Schwemmer" <kurts@vitesse.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:17:09 -0700
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
I'm trying to figure out a toolchain to use for my system. I can compile
the kernel just fine using the MIPS SDE based distribution, but you
can't cross compile apps with that. I downloaded and built buildroot and
I'm trying to (cross) compile the kernel with it too (I'd like to just
use one compiler for everything). I had it use gcc 3.4.5. When I try to
compile the kernel with:

make
CROSS_COMPILE=~/buildroot/build_mipsel/staging_dir/bin/mipsel-linux-

I eventually get an error while assembling entry.o:
  AS      arch/mips/kernel/entry.o
arch/mips/kernel/entry.S: Assembler messages:
arch/mips/kernel/entry.S:157: Error: opcode not supported on this
processor: mips32 (mips32) `jr.hb $31'
make[1]: *** [arch/mips/kernel/entry.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/mips/kernel] Error 2

I guess this is a "hazard barrier" instruction. Why doesn't gcc 3.4.5
know about it? What do I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks,
Kurt Schwemmer