Re: does the linux support rootfs on vfat?

To: zhuzhenhua <zzh.hust@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: does the linux support rootfs on vfat?
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 09:09:58 +0100
Cc: linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Sun, 2006-03-05 14:17:56 +0800, zhuzhenhua <zzh.hust@gmail.com> wrote:
> if in my product based ide disk, i want to it to support the
> u-disk(with vfat fs), and can i set the root fs as vfat too?
> if use vfat as rootfs, what's disadvantage of the selection?

Well, most notably you won't have device nodes. Maybe a ram-backed
filesystem mounted to /dev/ could solve that, but you'd probably need
an initrd for that to do.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O