Re: how to select a rootfs for embedded linux based hardisk?

To: zhuzhenhua <zzh.hust@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: how to select a rootfs for embedded linux based hardisk?
From: Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:43:41 +0000
Cc: linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
* zhuzhenhua <zzh.hust@gmail.com> [2006-03-01 20:18]:
> i want to port the linux to our board based hardisk with
> mips arch. i do not find too much file sytem for rootfs on hardisk
> besides ext2/ext3.
> but it seems ext2/ext3 is not suitable for embedded system.
> does someone have idea or experience with these products?

How large is your hard drive exactly and is it a real IDE hard drive
or some kind of flash?  If the disk/flash is very small, ext3 may be a
bad choice since it's a journalling file system which means that a)
it'll take up quite a significant portion of space on a small drive
and b) it'll write to the same sectors all the time, which will kill
the flash in no time.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/