Re: Please pull drivers/scsi/dec_esp.c from Linus' git

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: Please pull drivers/scsi/dec_esp.c from Linus' git
From: Jes Sorensen <>
Date: 17 Feb 2006 04:12:12 -0500
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>, Martin Michlmayr <>,
>>>>> "Maciej" == Maciej W Rozycki <> writes:

Maciej> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Ralf Baechle wrote:
>> That still leaves below gem to sort out.

Maciej>  Yeah -- there is that mmiowb() macro that is supposed to fit
Maciej> here, but some MIPS-based hardware is ordered weakly (and
Maciej> strangely) enough for this single macro to be a bit
Maciej> insufficient.  I think we should have at least mmiowb() and
Maciej> mmiob() (corresponding to wmb() and mb(), respectively) as
Maciej> there is a system we support that does writes in order, but
Maciej> snoops the writeback buffer (the R3220).  Another one is worse
Maciej> yet as does all of that plus byte gathering (the R2020).  At
Maciej> least the latter cannot have the NCR/Emulex SCSI chip and uses
Maciej> DEC's own design instead (a DC7061 gate array highly suspected
Maciej> to also support DSSI if appropriately configured).

Maciej>  I'm not sure if we really need mmiorb() -- probably not.

Just make mmiowb() strong enough on those platforms. There's really no
reason to introduce yet another variation at this point.