Re: native gcc for mipsel / uClibc (building or binaries)?

To: David Daney <ddaney@avtrex.com>
Subject: Re: native gcc for mipsel / uClibc (building or binaries)?
From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@wpkg.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:48:13 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
David Daney wrote:

I have done it for mipsel-linux-glibc, however until last week gcc had no support for uClibc, so it will probably not work with uClibc without some patching to gcc.

The basic idea is that once you have a working cross toolchain just configure gcc and binutils with: --build=i686-pc-linux-glibc --target=mipsel-linux --host=mipsel-linux. This will produce a native toolchain. You will have to copy the compile time portions of the C library (include files and link time libraries) to the target, then you should be all set.

Exactly that's my problem.

I have a compiler that generates binaries for mipsel/uclibc.

I compiled lots of software with it, so we can say it's functional.

Now, when I try to compile gcc (--build=i686-pc-linux-glibc
> --target=mipsel-linux --host=mipsel-linux), it breaks, as during the build process gcc's ./configure has a schizophrenia: it tries to compile some parts for mipsel (as I'd expect), but it also tries to compile and execute the binaries during the build process.

This means, it creates some binaries/libs needed for the build process (like libiberty), then tries to run/use them, but as they are mipsel binaries, the build process breaks.

I tried that with gcc-4.0.2, and some earlier 3.3.6 and 3.4.5, without a success.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
Software deployment with Samba