Re: native gcc for mipsel / uClibc (building or binaries)?

To: "Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh" <ilya@total-knowledge.com>
Subject: Re: native gcc for mipsel / uClibc (building or binaries)?
From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@wpkg.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:49:46 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh wrote:

Are you sure it is what you want? I somehow suspect that you want to
generate toolchain to build things
natively on your mipsel box to run on said box. If that is true,
buildroot (http://buildroot.uclibc.org) will do everything

Buildroot also builds gcc which works on let's say x86 and makes
binaries for mipsel/uclibc).

I need the gcc binaries which will work on mipsel, and which will
build for mipsel.

Buildroot builds _both_. At least it has support for building both.

OK, than I didn't look close enough.

for you. Also, I think crosstool does it by default as well (not 100%
sure though). Look under your destination dir
for <target>/bin/gcc.

Crosstool by default builds the binaries on system X that will run on
system X and build for Y.

So now I have binaries that build for mipsel/uclibc on x86, but I
can't build gcc that will work on mipsel/uclibc with it.

Let's say you build with instdir /crosstool
Then look for mipsel toolchain binaries in
/crosstool/gcc-x.y.z-glibc-K.L.M/mipsel-linux-gnu/mipsel-linux-gnu/bin

It's all x86 cross compilers (they will build for mipsel, on x86):

# pwd
/opt/crosstool/mipsel-unknown-linux-uclibc/gcc-3.3.3-uClibc-0.9.23/mipsel-unknown-linux-uclibc/bin
# file gcc
gcc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, not stripped

# pwd
/opt/crosstool/mipsel-unknown-linux-uclibc/gcc-3.3.3-uClibc-0.9.23/bin
# file mipsel-unknown-linux-uclibc-gcc
mipsel-unknown-linux-uclibc-gcc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, not stripped

So I guess I need to spend some more time on it, if I don't figure out, I'll keep on asking :)

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
Software deployment with Samba