Re: gdb vs. gdbserver with -mips3 / 32bitmode userspace

To: Michael Uhler <>
Subject: Re: gdb vs. gdbserver with -mips3 / 32bitmode userspace
From: Daniel Jacobowitz <>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:24:04 -0500
Cc: "'Maciej W. Rozycki'" <>, 'Johannes Stezenbach' <>,
> bits.  With these bits off, an attempt to access these addresses causes an
> exception.  So while 32-bit apps have the full 64-bit address space, most of
> it is inaccessible to the 32-bit app.

That's not actually what I was referring to: there's at least one MIPS
implementation where the results of 32-bit arithmetic operations are
not just architecturally unpredictable but actually wrong if the upper
bits are not properly sign extended (I might be misremembering, but I
think I'm talking about the SB-1).  That's the sort of thing that can
be basically impossible to track down if your debugger doesn't show
you the whole register.

Daniel Jacobowitz