Re: gdb vs. gdbserver with -mips3 / 32bitmode userspace

To: Johannes Stezenbach <js@linuxtv.org>
Subject: Re: gdb vs. gdbserver with -mips3 / 32bitmode userspace
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:36:13 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> I think (maybe in error ;-), that all binaries compiled for
> a 32bit ABI, but a 64bit ISA, have this flag set, as the kernel
> will refuse to execute 64bt code (i.e. not o32 or n32 ABI). Therefore,
> shouldn't gdb also evaluate this flag when deciding about the ISA
> register size?

 O32 implies 32-bit registers no matter what ISA is specified (while
o32/MIPS-III is effectively o32/MIPS-II, o32/MIPS-IV makes a difference),
therefore it's a bug.  You should try sending your proposal to
<gdb-patches@sources.redhat.com> instead.  But I smell the problem is
elsewhere -- mips_isa_regsize() shouldn't be called for the "cooked"
registers and these are ones you should only see under Linux or, as a
matter of fact, any hosted environment.  See mips_register_type() for a
start.

  Maciej