Re: Kernel git repository

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: Kernel git repository
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:48:05 +0100
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, 2006-01-30 21:08:37 +0000, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> wrote:
> As some of you have been complained - the kernel git repository has become
> rather large with it's currently slightly over 200MB.  Since most users
> are not interested in the full 12 year project history I've prepared a
> second, slimmed down repository.  It can be cloned at:
>
>   git clone git://www.linux-mips.org/git/linux-2.6.15.git linux.git
>
> This tree is just about 62MB in size and starts at 2.6.15.

Do you intent to work on that tree? ...or keep the other one as the
"master" tree? ...or actually dump the mips-linux history and go for
Linus' tree?

The point is, really, HDD space is cheap these days. While the initial
download may be painfull, it's only 200 MB. Hell, back in those times,
I kept a Debian unstable box up'to'date with an analog modem at 28k8Bd
and that worked just fine (though it took an hour or two every day:-)

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O