Re: check of endianess?

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: check of endianess?
From: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:07:53 -0500
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Martin Michlmayr wrote:
I just compiled a kernel for SGI IP32 and got some very interesting
results when booting it: 0 MHz CPU, no RAM... Later I found out that
I made a copy&paste typo in my build script and used mipsel-linux-cc
to compile.  Shouldn't this be detected earlier on?

That actually booted? I thought SGIs were hardwired specifically for BE, and the prom should've rejected an LE kernel (Granted, there is a jumper on the IP32 board labelled "Big Endian", so it's anyone's guess).

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond