Re: how to emdedded ramdisk.gz in vmlinux for linux-2.6.14?

To: Marc Karasek <marckarasek@ivivity.com>
Subject: Re: how to emdedded ramdisk.gz in vmlinux for linux-2.6.14?
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:03:32 +0100
Cc: "P. Christeas" <p_christ@hol.gr>, Linux-Mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
In message <1137790053.22994.58.camel@localhost.localdomain> you wrote:
> Basically due to design issues and cost issues having a flash based
> system is not possible.  Currently we have only 16MB total of flash and

If you have enough flash to store a compressed ramdisk image, you can
store a compressed flash file system as well. For example, you  could
use  a  cramfs file system. In most cases the ramdisk solution is the
worst option to chose. See for example
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/RootFileSystemSelection

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de
There are bugs and then there are bugs.  And then there are bugs.
                                                    - Karl Lehenbauer