Re: Cobalt Raq2 HD upgrade - Advice required

To: freshy98 <freshy98@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Cobalt Raq2 HD upgrade - Advice required
From: Peter Horton <phorton@bitbox.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:52:06 +0000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
freshy98 wrote:
Dominique Quatravaux wrote:

I'd like to beef up the machine, with more RAM and another HD for
backups. I found the appropriate Wiki page
(http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Cobalt) and I believe I can deal with
the RAM part. OTOH as regards the hard drive, the page is a bit evasive:
exactly what kind of HD can I put there (one for a laptop perhaps)? Will
I need any duct tape to fasten the second disk? Is there anything
special I should know about the operation?

All you need is a new IDE cable since the default one only has the Master connector and you need the Slave as well.
Apart from that it should be easy.
Oh, you also need a Molex splitter since the default one is only good for one drive.

If you have some soldering experience it's also quite easy to fit the components for the second IDE channel (it's just a handful of resistors, a diode and the connector IIRC).

P.