Re: how to emdedded ramdisk.gz in vmlinux for linux-2.6.14?

To: linux-mips <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: how to emdedded ramdisk.gz in vmlinux for linux-2.6.14?
From: Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:10:00 -0500
Cc: zhuzhenhua <zzh.hust@gmail.com>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Marc Karasek wrote:
Is this a better solution than having the ramdisk embedded?

This is embedding the ramdisk.  Only in a different way.

It seems that most of the MIPS development is embedded designs and this
could be a problem if it is not :

1) Easier

Not exactly easier, initially. I spent near a few weeks figuring initramfs out. The kernel is rather picky on certain things. The main point is you need /init, and if it's a script, then the very first line must be a hashbang (!#/bin/blah). Those two gave me headaches for awhile. Other oddities can occur that make initramfs a bit of a pain initially.

or
2) Faster

Faster by what? initramfs is unique because it resides on a level above the arches, so it tends to be a sort of universal ramdisk. SGI Origin system couldn't use ramdisks originally because of their memory structure. They can, however, use initramfs. I maintained patches for a time (up until ~2.6.13) that added embedded ramdisk support back into the kernel, but now that I have initramfs down pretty well (a tool does the grunt work for my needs, actually), I'm not going to maintain those patches any longer.

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond