Re: how to emdedded ramdisk.gz in vmlinux for linux-2.6.14?

To: Kumba <>
Subject: Re: how to emdedded ramdisk.gz in vmlinux for linux-2.6.14?
From: Marc Karasek <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:27:00 -0500
Cc: linux-mips <>, zhuzhenhua <>
Is this a better solution than having the ramdisk embedded?

It seems that most of the MIPS development is embedded designs and this
could be a problem if it is not :

1) Easier
2) Faster

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 19:26 -0500, Kumba wrote:
> Marc Karasek wrote:
> > Look under arch/mips/ramdisk (I think).  This is where you should put the
> > ramdisk.gz image and the compiler will pick it up and put it into the
> > vmlinux image for you.
> Embedded Ramdisk support in 2.6 is deprecated and removed from the tree for
> kernels >=2.6.10.  You need to use initramfs now to get an embedded userland
> work.
> --Kumba
Any content within this email is provided “AS IS” for informational purposes
only.  No contract will be formed between the parties by virtue of this email.
Marc Karasek
System Lead Technical Engineer
iVivity Inc.
T 678-990-1550 x238