Re: 64-bit Linux kernel

To: Vadivelan@soc-soft.com
Subject: Re: 64-bit Linux kernel
From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@gentoo.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:28:24 +1000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Vadivelan@soc-soft.com wrote:
> Hi,
>       I would like to know the differences between the 32-bit and
> 64-bit Linux kernel. Also does the MIPS port of Linux have support for
> 64-bit. Kindly provide me your invaluable inputs.
> Thanking you in advance.

In short, yes, Linux does support 64-bit kernels on MIPS processors.

It entirely depends on the target machine.  Some *have* to run 64-bit
kernels (e.g. the Octane, Indigo2 Impact...etc.), others can run either
32-bit or 64-bit (e.g. O2, with sufficiently old kernel... Indy,
Cobalt...etc).  Others, are strictly 32-bit only. (anything with a
MIPS-1, MIPS-2 or MIPS32 CPU).

It is worth noting that not all applications lend themselves to running
a 64-bit kernel.  1 + 1 will take just as long to calculate in 32-bit as
it does in 64-bit. :-)

> The information contained in this e-mail message and in any annexure is
> confidential to the  recipient and may contain privileged information.

In which case, why on earth did you send this email to a public email
list? ;-)
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter)              .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :