Re: Force MMC/SD to 512 byte block sizes

To: "Russell King" <>
Subject: Re: Force MMC/SD to 512 byte block sizes
From: "Jordan Crouse" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:49:36 -0700
On 06/01/06 16:59 +0000, Russell King wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:44:06AM -0700, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> > This patch is not specific to the AU1200 SD driver, but thats what
> > we used to debug and verify this, so thats why it is applied against
> > the linux-mips tree.   Pierre, I'm sending this to you too, because I
> > thought
> > you may be interested.
> NACK.  Please wait until the next round of patches get merged and then
> revalidate this.

Ok - I saw your fixes.  Looks good to me.

I'm still sticking to the (assumption|hypothesis|foolish fantasy) that
even cards that do not support partial block writes will still support
512 byte writes - mainly because I just don't see those ASICs in the
el-Cheapo card readers being capable of doing the advanced buffering
to convert 512 <-> 1024 or 2048, and hopefully one of these days I'll
find a card to prove that.  Until then, I don't have a leg to stand on,
so I'll quietly hang back.

Jordan Crouse
Senior Linux Engineer
AMD - Personal Connectivity Solutions Group