Re: Almost 80% of UDP packets dropped

To: kernel coder <lhrkernelcoder@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Almost 80% of UDP packets dropped
From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 09:48:35 +0000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Gwe, 2006-01-06 at 23:02 -0800, kernel coder wrote:
> I noticed that user application started recieveing packets after
> Kernel had recieved all the UDP packets.

If your network chip/ram/processor combination is not fast enough to run
user space applications and handle a full speed network packet stream
then you either need to send more slowly, make the kernel network driver
more efficient or add some kind of interrupt/polling code to reduce
system load to avoid this. The NAPI layer in the networking code is
designed to make this possible.

Probably worth discussing further on netdev@oss.sgi.com

Alan