Re: Almost 80% of UDP packets dropped

To: kernel coder <lhrkernelcoder@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Almost 80% of UDP packets dropped
From: Brett Foster <fosterb@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 02:38:11 -0500
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
kernel coder wrote:

hi,
   I was trying to measure the UDP reception speed on my borad which
has MIPS 4kc processor with 133 MHZ speed.I was transfering 10mb file
from intel pentium 4 machine to MIPS board,but the recieved file was
only 900kB.
UDP was not designed with reliability in mind -- it really isn't meant for sending a 10 meg file without a packet loss.

When i further investigated the problem ,i came to know that the user
application was not getting enough opportunities to get data from
socket queue which caused almost 80% of packets to be dropped as
socket queue had no free space.
(Among other sources) I'm pretty sure this behaviour was discussed in:
Unix Network Programming, Vol. 1: The Sockets Networking API, Third Edition
(Something like page 257.)

I don't know if there is anything else going on with the kernel but...

Brett