Re: Fixed kernel entry point suggestion

To: Adil Hafeez <adilhafeez80@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fixed kernel entry point suggestion
From: Dan Malek <dan@embeddedalley.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:22:55 -0500
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

On Dec 28, 2005, at 2:36 AM, Adil Hafeez wrote:

Everytime we add/remove a feature from kernel location of entry_point symbol changes.

If you "wrap" the kernel image with a simple header and have a boot loader
that understands this, or even understands the ELF header, or download
S-records (yuk) as most systems do, I guess it isn't necessary to fix this. I've been providing the compressed zImage patches for a long time that solves this, as well as the u-boot uImage patches. The process of building these images not only locates the proper entry point, but it provides advantages
for embedded systems by creating smaller images and faster boot times.

..... Adding a simply jump instruction to kernel_entry point in head.S can solve this problem. Why dont we make this change permanent in kernel.

:-) It seems MIPS likes to be different from other architectures that have solved these irritating little details years ago :-) Submit a patch and see
what happens, as just complaining on the list isn't likely to make it
happen.

Thanks.

        -- Dan