Re: Kernel freezes in r4k_flush_icache_range() with CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R2

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: Kernel freezes in r4k_flush_icache_range() with CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R2
From: Maxime Bizon <mbizon@freebox.fr>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 03:31:31 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 11:47 +0000, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>  FYI, GCC 3.4.4 produces the following code which is clearly wrong:

> Please file a bug report at: "http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/";.

Same with 3.3 and 3.2...

I'm really not familiar with inline assembly so I would appreciate that
any gcc guru here confirm instruction_hazard() code is correct before I
(or he) submit the bug report.

As the bug seems to be in all gcc versions, I guess we should find a
workaround... I changed the code to use an asm label instead of the C
label and the bug disappeared. But I'm not sure my changes are correct
for any platform other than mine...

Could anyone with the right skills help me to write a valid workaround
please ?

Here is what I have:

__asm__ __volatile__(
        "lui $2,1f\n"