RE: pci_iomap issues?

To: "Scott Ashcroft" <scott.ashcroft@talk21.com>, "Mark Mason" <mason@broadcom.com>
Subject: RE: pci_iomap issues?
From: "Marc Karasek" <marck@ivivity.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:49:09 -0500
Cc: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
By multiple buses do you mean physical buses off of the CPU/companion chip or
one PCI bus then a bridge chip then next PCI Bus, and so on..

If it is the latter, then the code should be able to automatically take care of
it.  The boot code should have already scanned the bus and annotated all of the
buses.  The basic procedure is to start at bus 0, find the first bridge, look
past this bridge, find next one, until you find the last bridge.  At this point
you backtrack and setup each bridge (primary, secondary #'s, etc.).  Thne you
go out and do config cycles to find out what devices are available and map them
into the address space.  When Linux comes up it should do something similar,
minus the setup to find out how many buses it has, and then how many devices it
has.  The difference would be if linux finds a device it just reads the BARs to
find out where it is mapped.

If it is the former, then this should be a chip specific operation where Linux
would scan again but needs to know to scan on multiple interfaces/PCI buses.
The boot code should also be aware of this situation and map things
appropriately.

Any content within this email is provided "AS IS" for informational purposes
only. No contract will be formed between the parties by virtue of this email.
Marc Karasek
System Lead Technical Engineer
iVivity Inc.
PH: 678-990-1550 x238