Re: smc91x support

To: pantelis.antoniou@gmail.com
Subject: Re: smc91x support
From: Matej Kupljen <matej.kupljen@ultra.si>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:44:30 +0100
Cc: Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@mba.ocn.ne.jp>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi

> > matej> Is there any solution to this?
> >
> > I have similar problem on my several custom boards with SMC91C111.  I
> > see so many RX overrun, but I can not see why it happens.  Forcing to
> > 10Mbps/HalfDuplex reduced the overrun count (and works better than
> > 100Mbps), but it is not preferable, of course ...

How did you achieve this? By software or by using 10 Mbps switch?

> And yes performance is bad with this chip.

Probably I'll try and switch it to 10 Mbps, because NFS is terrible
because it gets a lot of timeouts because of dropped packets.

> I'm not sure if DMA would
> help much, since the overrun occurs because the chip does not have
> enough internal buffers. I don't think that we can service the interrupts
> fast enough to prevent the overruns...

I found this mail from Nicolas on ARM mailing list:
http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2005-October/031736.html

Maybe we could try DMA and see what happens.
Any hints how to try this, because I haven't worked with DDMA before?

BR,
Matej