Here is what I did to track down the errors.
I created a diff between the last working kernel 2.6.12 and the current
kernel. Started with cpu-probe.c, that to me seemed the logical choice.
After patching the rest of files needed to support the patch in
cpu-probe.c, I was finally able to produce a kernel under 2.6.12 with
the same problem.
The files that I ported from 2.6.14 to 2.6.12 are the following
Here is a link to the patches I used http://ftp.jg555.com/errors
Looking at mipsregs.h, something doesn't look right for a 64 bit system.
But I'm not the expert.
Here are my findings, I hope someone out there has an idea.