Re: linux kernel building for mips malta target board

To: Stuart Anderson <>
Subject: Re: linux kernel building for mips malta target board
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:33:06 +0000
Cc: David Daney <>,, MIPS Linux List <>
> I shamed myself into sitting down and doing this. 8-)
> The attached patch seems to work, or at least doesn't seem to cause
> things to blow up. An o32 userspace on a 64-bit kernel comes up
> multi-user and can build a kernel, and run a quick subset of LTP.
> There was a comment on IRC that there was a register allocation issue which
> lead to the current code. I'm not sure of the exact details, but I _think_
> this change ends up being equivilent to the code it replaces.

It's correct - but triggers plenty of extra warnings and you forgot about
get_user() which has the same kind of issue.  Also you don't have the
guarantee that <linux/types.h> has been included, so in order to avoid a
yet another header file dependency I changed s8, s16 etc. to char, short,
int, long long.  Working on it but as usual uaccess.h is quite a quiz.