Re: [RFC] Add 4KSx support (try 2)

To: "Kevin D. Kissell" <>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Add 4KSx support (try 2)
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:15:19 +0000
Cc: Franck <>,
On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 10:08:50AM +0100, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> There are places, for example arch/mips/mm/cache.c, but
> also some of the other makefiles, where you're using your
> new config flags to drive things where the standard
> CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32 (which I guess has now fragmented into
> CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R1 and CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R2, which would
> apply to the Sc and Sd respectively) would do the right thing
> while creating fewer source file mods.

CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32 is a short cut; it's set if any of CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R1
or CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R2 is set.  Equivalent for MIPS64.  Another short
set of short cuts is CONFIG_CPU_MIPSR1 which is set if any of
CONFIG_CPU_MIPS32_R1 or CONFIG_CPU_MIPS64_R1 is set and again the
equivalent thing for CONFIG_CPU_MIPSR2 exists.

> Have you thought about what the ACX state would mean for
> kernel debuggers in general and kgdb in particular?

The real issue I have with the patch is that ACX is extending the state
that would need to be saved and restored in signal handlers and I have to
solve the question where to keep that information without breaking
compatibility - that's pretty much the same exercise which we had just
recently with adding DSP support.  I need to look into that Franck; until
this patch is on hold.  It however looks correct otherwise.