Re: [Slightly-OT] VR4110 core

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Subject: Re: [Slightly-OT] VR4110 core
From: Chris Boot <bootc@bootc.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:20:00 +0100
Cc: Linux/MIPS Development <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Chris Boot wrote:

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Chris Boot wrote:

I'm in my final year doing a BSc Computing Science degree in the UK, and
for
my project/dissertation I've chosen to attempt to get Linux to run on an
old
Sky Digibox (PACE 2500N) set-top-box. So far my research has revealed the
CPU
has is a NEC VR4110 core with lots of MPEG and graphics processing stuff

        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

tacked on. The board itself is quite interesting, with a PC-Card slot,
audio
out, 2x SCART, RF-out, modem, and serial connection.

Do you know which SoC is actually used? Perhaps a NEC EMMA or EMMA2?

Hmm, glancing at the "Product Letter" I have, it does mention "Enhanced
Multi-Media Architecture" so I'm guessing its an EMMA SoC indeed.

Do you have to part number?

Did I not send one?! It must have been late...

It's a uPD61032, marked D61032GL on the chip. The exact markings are:
NEC JAPAN
D61032GL
9949EK019

There's a couple of 2MB SDRAM chips just next to the CPU (both from different manufacturers, and with different pinouts, interestingly enough), 2 Amtel 2MB Flash chips, and so on.

I also forgot to mention the board has two smart-card readers and an interesting array of front-panel LEDs, buttons, and an Ir remote control receiver.

Thanks!
Chris

--
Chris Boot