RE: Fwd: How to improve performance of 2.6 kernel

To: "Ralf Baechle" <ralf@linux-mips.org>, "kernel coder" <lhrkernelcoder@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Fwd: How to improve performance of 2.6 kernel
From: "Mitchell, Earl" <earlm@mips.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:12:22 -0700
Cc: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
If you are looking at network performance ...
A while back I briefly looked at this and it
looked like the per packet processing time had
gone up significantly between 2.4.20 and
2.6.x. Problem was not NAPI which switches
from interrupt to polling mode when you get a burst
of packets. I actually traced a single packet from Rx
to Tx. Unfortunately I didn't save my data and did
not isolate where increased time was being spent.

-earlm