Re: How to improve performance of 2.6 kernel

To: kernel coder <lhrkernelcoder@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: How to improve performance of 2.6 kernel
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:07:08 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 04:29:44AM -0700, kernel coder wrote:

> I have just ported linux kernel 2.6.10 for MIPS4Kc-core board.Before
> porting 2.6 kernel ,2.4.20 was running on this board. When I took
> benchmarks for both the kernels for comparison, I found out that
> linux-2.4.20 was giving much better results than linux-2.6.10. The
> specs for the board are as follows:

> 133MHz MIPS4kc

How many TLB entries does your 4Kc have?  2.6 is hitting the TLB harder
and system that have small TLBs tend to suffer from that at the bottom
line even though all the other benefits of 2.6.

It would be interesting to see lmbench numbers for the system configurations
you've tested.  Lmbench is a well defined workload that's proven useful
in isolating such issues.

Thanks,