Re: How to improve performance of 2.6 kernel

To: "Stuart Longland" <redhatter@gentoo.org>, "kernel coder" <lhrkernelcoder@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: How to improve performance of 2.6 kernel
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <KevinK@mips.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:19:31 +0200
Cc: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
>kernel coder wrote:
>> I am also attaching the benchmarks I took for both the kernels. Is
>> there any way I can improve 2.6's performance? Thanks.
>
>Hi,
> Don't mean to nitpick... but do you think it wise to use a proprietry
>format like Microsoft Excel on a prodominantly Linux-user list? :-)
>Tab-delimited would probably be better for distribution on a mailing list.

There are 2D data plots that are hard to do as ASCII art. ;o)
It opened fine for me in Open Office - there was one set of graphs
that looked to be empty, but I couldn't tell if that was OO screwing
up or the way the spreadsheet went out.  But the raw data was
legible and troubling.

> How much slower are we talking here?  And in what regards?

Memory copy, network I/O, and disk I/O, by factors ranging from
about 10% to almost 50% - I'd say about 25% on the average.
If this can't be explained by a configuration error, we have a real
problem here, but if that's the case, I'm surprised no one has raised
a red flag earlier.

        Regards,

        Kevin K.