Re: Tftp problems with ARC firmware

To: Florian Lohoff <>
Subject: Re: Tftp problems with ARC firmware
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:10:58 +0100
On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 12:09:36AM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> >   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc
> >   echo 4096 32767 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range
> >
> > at a new version of tftp-hpa which solves the PMTU problem by disabling it
> > only for the tftp client and introduces a new -R begin:end option which
> > allows to limit the port number range.  The changes are about to become
> > available in the tftp-hpa git repository at
> >; see also
> >  Please send test reports to
> > and
> I made a patch against tftpd-hpa for disabling path MTU discovery - Its
> in the Debian BTS:
> It should already be merged upstream. User "-F" to disable PMTUd.

Never made it to HPA - HPA wrote the patches for these two bugs himself
yesterday when I mentioned the problem to him.  His patches are different
in the he disables PMTU discovery entirely - it's not useful for TFTP.
And your patch doesn't work around the other firmware bug which requires
restricting the port range.  We had to get rid of the currently recommended
workaround - it seriously restricts the IP stack; cripples is probably
the right expression for busy servers.

Patch rotting in the Debian bugtracking system seems to become a classic ;-)