Re: gcc of SDE6 cannot compile C++ applications

To: colin <colin@realtek.com.tw>
Subject: Re: gcc of SDE6 cannot compile C++ applications
From: Nigel Stephens <nigel@mips.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 09:38:27 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org

colin wrote:

>Hi there,
>I upgrade my SDE from 5 to 6.
>Before upgrading, we can compile C++ applications. After doing that, C++
>cannot be compiled by the gcc of SDE6.
>The warning message is like this:
>    mipsel-linux-gcc: main.cpp: C++ compiler not installed on this system
>
>I found that MIPS offers C++ compiler running on MIPS.
>Does MIPS want us to compile C++ on MIPS, not on X86?

I recommend that you contact sde@mips.com with questions about SDE. The
linux-mips community probably isn't very interested in these issues ;-(

As to your question: the SDE cross-compiler is intended only for
cross-compiling kernels, and not applications, so we don't currently
build the C++ compiler for x86 (until Linus does a rewrite in C++, I
suppose). So yes, the current expectation is that you would compile
applications, including C++, on a MIPS platform.

Nigel