Re: Floating point performance

To: Nigel Stephens <nigel@mips.com>
Subject: Re: Floating point performance
From: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:31:25 -0400
Cc: Matej Kupljen <matej.kupljen@ultra.si>, Ulrich Eckhardt <Eckhardt@satorlaser.com>, linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 12:36:10PM +0100, Nigel Stephens wrote:

> Matej Kupljen wrote:
>
> >I thought that SF *should* be relatively fast, because I have
> >experience with it on ARM, where Nicolas Pitre wrote amazing
> >SF support for the glibc.
> >How can we speed-up SF on MIPS?
> >Does anybody have some suggestions?
> >

> Maybe someone should volunteer to port Nicolas's "amazing SF support"
> from ARM to MIPS. Hint hint.

Unless you've got a spare ASE lying around with conditional execution
and a barrel shifter, I don't think this is in the cards.

Which isn't to say that someone couldn't write a good MIPS-specific
implementation, if they were a sufficiently good FP guru.  But
my feeling is that ARM is more prone than MIPS to clever tricks that
are hard for a compiler to generate.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC