Re: Floating point performance

To: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: Floating point performance
From: Greg Weeks <greg.weeks@timesys.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:31:26 -0400
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:

(Sorry if this mail is garbled, I'm forced to use a sub-par client)

Matej Kupljen wrote:
I've built soft float toolchain (with crosstool) and then build
MPlayer with it. The performance is very low. I cannot even play the
mp3 file with MPlayer on DBAU1200 with 400MHz CPU!
[...]
Any other suggestions?

I'm not sure what you are doing, but if you only want to play music, I'd use
Ogg Vorbis instead, which has a decoder that only uses integer arithmetic for
exactly the case of FPU-less machines and the Au1200. I could also imagine an
MP3 decoder written for integer only being written somewhere, but I don't know
anything about it.
mpg123 had a version of the libs for OS-9 that used integer ops only. It was in contributions and not the mainline and I don't know how difficult it would be to get it running on Linux. It's a dead project now anyway.

Greg Weeks