Re: Floating point performance

Subject: Re: Floating point performance
From: Greg Weeks <>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:31:26 -0400
Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:

(Sorry if this mail is garbled, I'm forced to use a sub-par client)

Matej Kupljen wrote:
I've built soft float toolchain (with crosstool) and then build
MPlayer with it. The performance is very low. I cannot even play the
mp3 file with MPlayer on DBAU1200 with 400MHz CPU!
Any other suggestions?

I'm not sure what you are doing, but if you only want to play music, I'd use
Ogg Vorbis instead, which has a decoder that only uses integer arithmetic for
exactly the case of FPU-less machines and the Au1200. I could also imagine an
MP3 decoder written for integer only being written somewhere, but I don't know
anything about it.
mpg123 had a version of the libs for OS-9 that used integer ops only. It was in contributions and not the mainline and I don't know how difficult it would be to get it running on Linux. It's a dead project now anyway.

Greg Weeks