RE: Floating point performance

To: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: RE: Floating point performance
From: "Ulrich Eckhardt" <Eckhardt@satorlaser.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:08:47 +0200
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
(Sorry if this mail is garbled, I'm forced to use a sub-par client)

Matej Kupljen wrote:
> I've built soft float toolchain (with crosstool) and then build
> MPlayer with it. The performance is very low. I cannot even play the
> mp3 file with MPlayer on DBAU1200 with 400MHz CPU!
[...]
> Any other suggestions?

I'm not sure what you are doing, but if you only want to play music, I'd use
Ogg Vorbis instead, which has a decoder that only uses integer arithmetic for
exactly the case of FPU-less machines and the Au1200. I could also imagine an
MP3 decoder written for integer only being written somewhere, but I don't know
anything about it.

Uli