Re: DISCONTIGMEM suuport on 32 bits MIPS

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: DISCONTIGMEM suuport on 32 bits MIPS
From: Franck <vagabon.xyz@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:46:02 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi Ralf,

2005/9/26, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 11:16:27AM +0200, Franck wrote:
>
> > I'm working on a port of 32bit MIPS to a custom board with several
> > large holes in the memory map. I would like to know the status of
> > discontiguous memory on MIPS. I have noticed that ip27 Kconfig enables
> > this feature but I don't see any MIPS generic code that handles it...
>
> IP27 currently the only system that absolutely needs discontiguous
> memory in order to work at all.  A few other systems could make use of
> discontiguous memory to reduce the waste of memory - the family of
> Broadcom SB1 based systems comes to mind.

Isn't discontiguous memory common for embedded system as well ? I
thought so...Anyways can we make discontiguous memory thing move into
generic MIPS code so every future needs for that will profit ? I
looked at other arch, and they seem to implement it that way (in
arch/xxx/mm/discontig.c).

Thanks
--
               Franck