Re: DISCONTIGMEM suuport on 32 bits MIPS

To: Franck <vagabon.xyz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: DISCONTIGMEM suuport on 32 bits MIPS
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:21:14 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 11:16:27AM +0200, Franck wrote:

> I'm working on a port of 32bit MIPS to a custom board with several
> large holes in the memory map. I would like to know the status of
> discontiguous memory on MIPS. I have noticed that ip27 Kconfig enables
> this feature but I don't see any MIPS generic code that handles it...

IP27 currently the only system that absolutely needs discontiguous
memory in order to work at all.  A few other systems could make use of
discontiguous memory to reduce the waste of memory - the family of
Broadcom SB1 based systems comes to mind.

> Has anybody already done this ? If not then I'll try to work out what
> needed from the corresponding i386 code, but I'd appreciate any
> pointers.

See IP27.  IP27 has one added extra complexity, it's a NUMA system but
you can ignore that.