kernel panic in cfi

To: <>
Subject: kernel panic in cfi
From: "Jan Pedersen" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:02:05 +0200
For any of you who are using flash with the cfi driver, this may be of your

When using the cfi (common flash interface) driver, every word written to
the flash chips is followed by a operation complete poll. This poll is
intended to have a timeout of 1 ms. However this timeout is calculated by
HZ/1000, which happends to be 0 because HZ < 1000. The result of this is
that there will be just one poll for operation complete. If this single poll
fails, the kernel panics. I have not had the time to investigate this panic
further. Instead, I have made a workaround that increases this timeout to HZ
(1 second). 1 second is far more than needed, but is preferred over a panic.

The patch is available at