Re: Trival shell script crashes under 2.4.25

To: Don Hiatt <Don_Hiatt@pmc-sierra.com>
Subject: Re: Trival shell script crashes under 2.4.25
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:17:47 +0100
Cc: "'linux-mips@linux-mips.org'" <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 04:00:40PM -0700, Don Hiatt wrote:

>   Sorry if this is the wrong list to post to; if it is, could you
> please suggest an alternative? :)

How about linux-mips ;-)

>   Below you will find a very simple shell script that crashes under
> 2.4.25 running on a RM9000 (PMC rm7935) with busybox 1.0. This script
> just demonstrates the actual problem but I do not believe it is
> isolated to busybox. In fact I wrote a simple program that just does
> this:
>       * for(;;)
>               * fork()
>                       * mmap file "foo"
>                       * compare "foo" to an array image
>               * waitpid()

linux-mips.org has no RM9000 support in it's 2.4 code.  That leaves
it up to guessing what could be happening in your codebase.

> and it will run for a while and then SEGFAULT at various times. According
> to GDB the stack is corrupted and looking at the PC it does seem bogus
> (0x2acf2e50).

That would be a typical address for a shared library.

>   The program crashes after a random amount of time but generally no more
> that a minute or so. I can speed up the process if I ping-flood the target.
>
>   Now what is really wierd is that if I run the program under gdbserver
> it doesn't crash (or at least has not in the last 1/2 hour). Does gdbserver
> change the execution context differently that gdb??

Strange indeed.  Both shouldn't affect the state of a running program
as long as it isn't being stopped.