Re: Git

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: Git
From: Thiemo Seufer <ths@networkno.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:01:54 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Ralf Baechle wrote:
[snip]
> > SVN
> >     Not distributed, easy to use.  Though there's a different
> >     frontend with distribution capabilities. Personally, SVN feels
> >     like CVS with it's major conceptual problems fixed.
>
> And plenty of reports about database corruption that are not terribly old
> so I'd feel uneasy to keep the crown jewels there.

This was related to the underlying berkeleydb, the switch to fsfs
fixed that. (SVN is used for several larger Debian projects like
its Xfree86/XOrg tree, it holds up quite well there.)

Btw, there's also SVK which implements a distributed system on top
of SVN. Some general comparision of the various SCMs:

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Apps/scm.html
http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/scm.html

Thiemo