Re: Selection of 2.4.31 from CVS?

To: Krishna B S <bskris@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Selection of 2.4.31 from CVS?
From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@gentoo.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:37:21 +1000
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Krishna B S wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for building a toolchain based on Linux-MIPS kernel for a
> MIPS 4Kc board. When I look at CVS Weekly Snapshots
> (http://www.longlandclan.hopto.org/~stuartl/mips-linux/sources/), I
> find many versions of 2.4.31 for use.
>
> Which one should I consider for my usage? Is there any thumb rule for
> selecting a stable version of 2.4.31 from the CVS? Which CVS tag
> should I use for 2.4.31?

These are all just created on a weekly basis via a cron job on my
server.  Unless there have been CVS commits in the meantime to the
kernel 2.4 branch, then they should be practically identical.

My script is too dumb to realise this, however, and so creates a new
tarball of 2.4.31 each week regardless.  One of these days I'll probably
start pruning out the stale versions there, but for the moment, there's
plenty of space.

I should also point out, that server is hosted on my ADSL connection, so
you won't get wonderful download speeds.  If you can, using rsync or CVS
direct to ftp.linux-mips.org is preferrable over downloading off this
server.  ;-)

--
 ____                   _             Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
/  _ \   ___    ___  __| |__  __   __ Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs