Re: AMD Au1100 problems (USB & Ethernet)

To: ppopov@embeddedalley.com
Subject: Re: AMD Au1100 problems (USB & Ethernet)
From: Sylvain Munaut <tnt@246tNt.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 23:05:59 +0200
Cc: Michael Kelly <mike@cogcomp.com>, "'linux-mips@linux-mips.org'" <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Pete Popov wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 15:58 -0400, Michael Kelly wrote:
>
>>The error count is less than .15%, not 5%.  This does not seem excessive.
>>So, the question is what are these errors exactly.  We have done internal
>>testing, but there is no way to test with every cable and switch/hub
>>combination.

Yes, on that particular count because I mainly testing TX on that
particular boot (so the RX are mainly small acks). But when testing
heavy receive with big packets, it can climbs up.

> Of course. I'm sure the CPU module itself is fine. I took a look at the
> picture and it looks like the PHY is external so I'm guessing it's on
> their custom PCB.

The PHY is on the CPU module itself, it's a BCM5221.

>>If you could determine the actual errors (such as CRC, collision, etc) then we
>>can try to determine where the errors are coming from.  It may very well be
>>HW, but it is a bit too early to make such a broad statement without more
>>information.
>

> Well, could be just a cable issue, hub, etc, but I'll put that in the HW
> bucket as well :)

The RX errors are reported as "rx miss" (RX_MISSED_FRAME set) which is
described as "Internal FIFO overrun". Maybe those are just OK and it's
just that it can't wistand full 100Mbps (the module is connected on a
10/100/1000 switch and the server is gigabit).

The TX errors are time-out, how can I find more details about that ?

        Sylvain