Re: Ramdisk issue please help!!!

To: "inpreet" <singh.inpreet@netsity.com>, <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: Re: Ramdisk issue please help!!!
From: "Alexander Voropay" <alec@artcoms.ru>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 18:22:31 +0400
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
"inpreet" <singh.inpreet@netsity.com> wrote:

I am trying to build ramdisk image and launch bootsplash image at boot time. Steps I followed:
1. get splash image initrd.splash using splash binary.
8. results in initrd.gz

Now while compiling kernel image I am embedding initrd.gz into it. Here is what
I am doing

You don't need nothing special for *embedded *, not external "MIPS initrd" on a
2.4 kernels.
It works just fine from the CVS.

1) Prepare your "ramdisk.img" with EXT2FS/other FS
2) gzip it.
3) Put this "ramdisk.gz" into the  arch/mips/ramdisk/
4) Enable in the configfile :

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y

CONFIG_EMBEDDED_RAMDISK=y
CONFIG_EMBEDDED_RAMDISK_IMAGE="ramdisk.gz"

5) make . Kernel build system will find this image automagically.

6) Run this kernel (vmlinux) without a "root=" parameter.

There is example of my kernel bootlog:

Determined physical RAM map:
memory: 01800000 @ 00000000 (usable)
Initial ramdisk at: 0x801b1000 (593920 bytes)
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize
Freeing initrd memory: 580k freed

root FS is mouned now as /dev/ram0

--
-=AV=-