xtime drift issue

To: <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
Subject: xtime drift issue
From: "Nori, Soma Sekhar" <nsekhar@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:15:05 +0530
Sender: linux-mips-bounce@linux-mips.org
Hi All,

I am running linux 2.6.10 (kernel.org) on my MIPS 4kec board.

On bootup, I use "hwclock -s" to sync the system time to the RTC.
Thereafter, the RTC keeps pace, but "date" starts losing time pretty
rapidly (~13 seconds per minute).

There is no interrupt from my RTC and hence updating xtime in RTC
ISR is not possible.

Is it normal for date to lose time at such a rapid pace?
If yes, what is the prefered way to keep pace (without using NTP)?

Thanks,
Sekhar Nori.